I’ve never made whoopie pies before, and this was a successful and fun first attempt. I’ve always been intimidated by them, but it turns out that they aren’t too difficult at all! This recipe is frome Spache the Spatula, and now I’m sharing it with you!
Chocolate Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Dutch-processed)
1 tbsp baking soda
1 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed dark-brown sugar
2 lage eggs
2 cups whole milk
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature (I used Neufchatel which has 1/3 less fat)
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
3/4 cup canned pure pumpkin
grated cinnamon, to taste
freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
pumpkin pie spice, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together the butter, shortening, and sugars for about 3 minutes until creamy and smooth. Add in the eggs and vanilla and mix for around 2 more minutes.
- Alternately add in the flour mixture and milk on low speed, beginning and ending with the flour.
- Scoop dough 2-inches apart onto prepared baking sheet in about a tablespoon-sized mound (I used a small cookie scoop.). Bake for 12 minutes or until the cookies spring back when lightly touched.
- Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5-10minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the cream cheese, butter and confectioners’ sugar until smooth.
- Add in the pumpkin and spices and mic until smooth, scraping down the bowl as necessary.
Spoon a tablespoon or two of filling between two sandwiches, and you’ve got a whoopie pie! I also considered rolling the edges in some halloween sprinkles, but it didn’t happen. Enjoy!