Disclaimer: These are MY FAVORITES, so while I value your opinion, I don’t value it if you tell me I’m wrong. Just keeping it real.
Okay, so back in middle school, we were obsessed with films that were terrifying at the time. Specifically, I recall practically peeing my pants watching ALL OF THE POLTERGEIST MOVIES in my friend Laura’s basement, and jumping out of my skin watching ALL OF THE SCREAM MOVIES at Mandy’s house. WHY did we do this? I don’t know. These days, I am not at all into movies that scare you simply by making you jump for two hours.
That said, for varying reasons, here are my top five favorite horror, thriller, and/or Halloween films of all time.
1. Hocus Pocus. You know you were born in the mid-eighties if this movie is a must for Halloween. The song. The one-liners. The innuendos we never noticed when we were ten. Oh, and if you watch NCIS, you may recognize McGee.
2. The Orphanage. Saw this at The Belcourt with Whitney. Obsessed over it. Made all my other friends see it. It may be in Spanish (with subtitles), but you are totally going to freak out. It just gets in your head. Promise.
3. Silence of the Lambs. Really no words here. Just classic and creepy and Anthony Hopkins will forever be a genius.
4. The Shining. Really this only made the list because before I ever saw the movie, I read the book. And let me tell you, my 8th-grade-self WAS PETRIFIED. The movie seemed kind of lame after the terror I had created in my imagination. So watch the movie, yes. But really…READ THE BOOK!
5. Seven. Just…Seven. If you haven’t seen it, well, you’re welcome.
Honorable Mention (because it’s a total spoof but I love it) goes to Shaun of the Dead. Not usually my type of humor, but honestly, I just love these two guys. Check it out if you want some laughs with a little bit of jumping mixed in.
So tonight, if you’re not dressing up / going out, you’re not alone. Rent one of these lovely little films instead and make some Halloween Puppy Chow!
And because I have a deep need to post photos of the puppy (yes, I’m obsessed with my dog), Happy Halloween from my little pumpkin!!